WoW Classic Making Gold With Engineering While Leveling [1-150]
In this guide, you’ll learn how to make gold with engineering in wow classic. Engineering is notorious for being bad at making money, meaning that it usually costs more gold than you can make from it. I think this is because people don’t know how to use the profession properly in order to make money. In this guide, I will walk you through leveling engineering from skill levels 1 to 150 (bringing you all the way through apprentice and journeyman ranks). Not only will this minimize your losses while leveling, but I believe you will actually be able to make gold while leveling engineering.
This guide differs from most other engineering leveling tutorials because our aim is to make a positive return on investment (ROI) not just level it as fast or cheaply as possible. While leveling engineering, we will focus on making materials required for future levels all the while keeping an eye on our net final earnings. We will also attempt to spread out the items that we make so that it’s faster to sell everything on the auction house rather than waiting weeks for our mass produced products to be completely sold.
Why learn engineering?
If engineering is known for losing money, why do so many people level it? The reason for this is that it the most useful profession when it comes to PvP. This is because you get awesome trinkets and items that are full of utility in addition to being able to use certain items like bombs to stun or daze enemies which can get you out of stick situations or set you up for a nice combo.
Very desirable trinkets available to engineers
- [Gnomish Net-o-Matic Projector] Shoots a net at the target which roots them for 10 seconds.
- [Gnomish Death Ray] An on use trinket that does huge damage to a single target.
- [Goblin Dragon Gun] Do fire damage to all targets in front of you in the shape of a cone.
- [Ultrasafe Transporter - Gadgetzan] and [Dimensional Ripper - Everlook] Basically free hearthstones to certain parts of the world.
- [Goblin Jumper Cables] and [Goblin Jumper Cables XL] A chance to resurrect a dead player, granting non healing classes the ability to raise their fallen allies.
- [Gyrofreeze Ice Reflector], [Hyper-Radiant Flame Reflector], and [Ultra-Flash Shadow Reflector] Reflect all frost, fire, or shadow spells (respectively) back to their casters for the next 5 seconds.
High utility items useful for specific situations:
- [Gnomish Harm Prevention Belt] prevents 500 damage for the next 10 minutes.
- [Gnomish Rocket Boots] and [Goblin Rocket Boots] which significantly boost your speed for the next 20 seconds. This is essentially a rogue’s [Sprint] or a druid’s [Dash] available to all classes.
- [Parachute Cloak] Reduces your fall speed for 10 seconds. This allows you to jump off tall things and not go splat.
- [Deepdive Helmet] Grants the wearer underwater breathing while it’s equip.
- [Goblin Rocket Helmet] Charge the target, knocking it silly for 30 seconds (great crowd control ability).
More useful items with great perks
- Early access to really good head piece (goggles)
- Bombs which can stun / daze players and other creatures
- You can create ammo and scopes which are saught after by hunters
- The ability to create guns which is great if you decide to roll a hunter or can sell on the AH for nice profits. We’ll be focusing on these for this guide
Leveling Engineering [1-150]
I highly recommend this method of leveling engineering for these skill levels. This will allow you to maximize your profits along the way and diversify the items you produce along the way so that they’re easier to sell quickly on the auction house. Later on I’ll detail the recipes that I see as being good money making sources so that you can continue to make gold. You’ll be stuck at skill level 150 until you hit level 20 anyway so you might as well make the most of it! Without further ado, here’s the method I recommend.
|Skill Levels||Crafting Item||Materials Required||Net Product||Notes|
|1-30||[Rough Blasting Powder]||30-40 [Rough Stone]||30-40||Vendor or AH, we won’t be using these.|
|31-54||[Handful of Copper Bolts]||40-50 [Copper Bar]||40-50||Hold onto these for later.|
|55||[Arclight Spanner]||6 [Copper Bar]||1||Don’t sell this! You’ll need it as a tool to make later items.|
|56-75||[Copper Tube]||40 [Copper Bar], 20 [Weak Flux]||20||Hold onto these for later.|
|76-80||[Coarse Blasting Powder]||5 [Coarse Stone]||5||Hold onto these for the [Aquadynamic Fish Attractor].|
|81-95||[Copper Tube]||40 [Copper Bar], 20 [Weak Flux]||20||Hold onto these for later.|
|96-105||[Crude Scope]||20 [Copper Tube], 20 [Malachite], 20 [Handful of Copper Bolts]||20||Vender or AH these. Only make as many as needed to get to skill 105.|
|106-115ish||[Bronze Tube]||40 [Bronze Bar], 20 [Weak Flux]||20||You’ll need 20 of these for later items.|
|116-125||[Deadly Blunderbuss]||20 [Copper Tube], 40 [Handful of Copper Bolts], 10 [Wooden Stock], 20 [Medium Leather]||10|
|126-140||[Whirring Bronze Gizmo]||40 [Bronze Bar], 20 [Wool Cloth]||20||You need 20 of these for later.|
|141-150||[Silver-plated Shotgun]||20 [Bronze Tube], 20 [Whirring Bronze Gizmo], 10 [Heavy Stock], 30 [Silver Bar]||10|
|(optional) 150-155||[Aquadynamic Fish Attractor]||10 [Bronze Bar], 5 [Nightcrawlers], 5 [Coarse Blasting Powder]||15||These are the best fishing lure available!|
Materials Required To Level Engineering:
- 30-40 [Rough Stone]
- 126-136 [Copper Bar]
- 60 [Weak Flux]
- 5 [Coarse Stone]
- 80-90 [Bronze Bar]
- 20 [Wool Cloth]
- 10 [Wooden Stock]
- 20 [Medium Leather]
- 10 [Heavy Stock]
- 20 [Malachite]
- 30 [Silver Bar]
What You Craft To Make Gold While Leveling Engineering:
After all this crafting, you’ll end up with around 20 guns which should AH pretty well (especially on horde since [Deadly Blunderbuss] is required for a quest in Ashenvale that rewards blue items which are nice for just about all classes.) and some [Aquadynamic Fish Attractor] which are also desireable on the auction house. You can of course either vendor, use, or AH the [Rough Blasting Powder] and [Crude Scope].
- 30-40 x [Rough Blasting Powder]
- 20 x [Crude Scope]
- 10 x [Deadly Blunderbuss]
- 10 x [Silver-played Shotgun]
- 15 x [Aquadynamic Fish Attractor]
- Some leftover materials
Worthy Mentions For Additional profit
While we proved that it’s possible to make gold while leveling engineering, there are other recipies that are notable and may help you make gold with engineering. Here’s a good start for additional diversification and profit:
- [Crude Scope] +1 damage to ranged weapons
- [Standard Scope] +2 damage to ranged weapons
- [EZ-Thro Dynamite] An explosive that non-engineers are able to use
- [Ice Deflector] Absorbs 600 frost damage over the next 1 minute.
- [Flame Deflector] Absorbs 500 fire damage over the next 1 minute.
- [Lovingly Crafted Boomstick] Another gun, availble via recipe
- [Moonsight Rifle] Another gun, available via recipe
- [Aquadynamic Fish Attractor] The best fishing lure available in Classic WoW, highly desireable by fishermen
That’s about it for low level engineering!
So that’s pretty much everything when it comes to making gold as you level up your engineering profession from 1-150. In addition to making gold with engineering, don’t forget to check out the awesome items that were mentioned at the start of the post. Let me know if you have any questions!
Wrapping it up
I hope you enjoyed this guide! Don't forget to leave us feedback wherever you found this guide or by contacting us at firstname.lastname@example.org . If you're interested in future guides, including the higher level versions of these profession guides and endgame content guides then you should register and join our mailing list and gametime giveaway or signup for our mailing list directly!
Looking for a guild? Check out our list of Classic guilds recruiting
Looking a specific type of player? Check out our Classic character lookup
If you liked this guide then you should check out our other gold making profession guides.
We have guides for leveling and making gold the following professions: